Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Review - Escape Pod and Pseudopod Podcasts


Last summer I purchased my first iPod. I have always been a huge music fan and when my mp3 CD player died, I figured it was time. Once I was using iTunes, I came across Podcasts and my whole world changed. I listen to my iPod usually 8 to 9 hours a day at work so the world of podcasts was an incredible discovery. I have listened to many many podcasts in the last year. Some good, some well... lets just say less than good is being very kind ;-) I have come across a few gems and the Escape Pod is defiantly one of them.

The Escape Pod located at http://escapepod.org (released under a Creative Commons license) is a Podcast the specializes in science fiction short stories. They actually pay the authors the most they can so they get some very good submissions. In the past year I have heard stories from some of my favorite authors and have been very pleased to be exposed to many that I was not aware of. Escape Pod pulled off a huge feat this year by presenting many of this years Hugo Award nominees and winners.

Weekly, Steve Ely and his cohorts at Escape Artists Inc. put out a great show. They present present short and flash fiction about zombies, aliens, classic hard sci-fi, superhero's, horror, speculative fiction, occasionally just plain freaky stuff and a smattering of reviews of current movies and books. It's a great mix that anyone can follow or get into, not just sci-fi fans. Steve does a great job reading the stories, but sometimes it takes a special touch so he gets great guest readers like Mur Lafferty (of Geek Fu Action Grip), Mark Forman (of Getting a Leg Up Podcast), Paul Jenkins, Tee Morris, Wichita Rutherford (of 5 Minutes With Wichita) and even his wife Anna. Due to this wonderful cast of voices you never know what you will hear or experience through their talents.

Recently a spin off podcast called Pseudopod has been launched. Pseudopod specializes in short and flash horror fiction. It was launched a few weeks back with my favorite podcast novel creator Scott Siglar being the first contributor. He read his story "Bag Man" which is very different from his novels Earthcore and Infection but was a lot of fun to hear. I look forward to lots of great stories from them in the future.

No comments: