Thursday, February 23, 2006

Decided on my new tattoo

I finally decided on my next tattoo. It will look something like the picture on the left. It may be just the knot, but as a Buddhist the whole design has significance to me. Especially the lotus flower. There are a lot of interpretations on the lotus image, but it shows up in most traditions in Buddhism. My interpretation is more literal than most. The lotus is this beautiful flower that grows best out of mud and dung. So, to me it’s a representation of the wonderful person we can become if we just try. It also shows me that we can all rise above all the crap this world dishes out to us on a daily basis. And that is the essence of the Buddha's teachings. The world is suffering but we can overcome it. I get a lot of strength and hope from this and boy do I need all the help I can get :-)

No comments: