Saturday, September 23, 2006

Labeling, just be honest, it's easier

Here is a small glimpse into my psyche, but it's fun :-)  I have a new pet peeve.  Marketing / ad people are now on my list.  However it's a specific kind of them, but I don't know what to call them.  Well, yes I do..... those people who think up what to call stuff.  OK, so, why can't they just be honest?  I'm a big boy, I can handle things being called what the really are.

Here is what pushed me over the edge on this.  I just went and washed my hands at work.  The liquid soap label was facing away from me but I knew it was soap.  Logic :-)  OK, the soap was green.  I put some on my hands and the wonderful smell of apples came to me.  I liked it, it was very pleasant.  I finish washing my hands and tun the soap around because I am curious what it is so maybe I can buy it.  The picture on the label is 4 different kinds of apples, the soap is green like an apple and it smells like apples.  Guess what is written in large letters on the front..... HARVEST BLEND!  WTF??????

Harvest Blend.... sigh.  OK, so where's the harvest?  It's just apples!  Why not call the scent apple?  Makes a lot more sense to me.  As the old expression goes... if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.  Well I guess this duck is a whole harvest. 

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I once saw a label on a tube of lunch meat that contained the words "beef lips"- a bit TOO honest in that case.

oops, almost forget-speaking of things that come in herds, you're about to be stampeded. Dr. John has made you his link for the day.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the worst is when they put 'open here'----
Like I'm gonna open it somewhere else!!!

Yes, I came from dr.johns... he sends us on around the blogsphere in search 4 sites like yours!
:]

Neoma said...

That would be to easy.....haha

This reminds me of crayons, when I was in school there were 8 colors, or at least that is all we could afford. My son got a box of 128 colors.....I don't think there are 128 colors......they had to come up with some really creative names......

If Dr. John were a crayon, he would be a bright color.

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe that marketing is just a slap in the face to the rest of us. They like to make things sound much more sophisticated than they really are so we'll think they're bigger, better, stronger, faster, etc. Like, if it's a word we don't normally use, it MUST be good stuff!

Well, I gotta run now... I just heard my girlfriend yell, "Get dressed so we can leave for your appointment with the Dr, John!" Which is kinda weird, considering I don't have a doctor's appointment today... And my name's not John!

Charlene Amsden said...

I am a teacher. We got a new student who did not speak or read English the same day the recycling carnival came to our school. After a relay race the kids were given bubble solution and bubble wands. A picture of fresh cherries was on the front of the package, along with the words, Cherry Scented. To top it off, the bubbles came in a little square container that looked like a milk or juice carton. Amid a chorous of, "Don't!" our new student took a huge swig from the box. Advertizing run amok.

I rode in on the Dr. John train; next stop, Pidgeon Falls.