Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Steve Irwin, Croc Hunter

Well, by now it's common knowledge that Steve Irwin has died in a tragic accident. The news is all over the net and just about every blog I subscribe to has made some comments. Even with this barrage of coverage there are still things to say and not just the facts.

I have been a fan of Steve for a long time now. There have been many times that I though he was borderline insane but he was ALWAYS entertaining. He re-inspired a sense of awe and respect for the environment and creatures of this world that has not been seen since the hay day of Wild Kingdom or the Jacques Cousteau specials of the 70's and 80's. I believe that he did more for animal rights and respect than groups like PETA will ever do.

After my first child came along I discovered how good Steve was with children. I did not know this side to him. He was good friends with The Wiggles and was even in a few of their DVDs with his wife and daughter. Wiggle Safari, in which he had a lead roll, was one of the best video's for my son when he was an infant. It was the magic bullet for when he just would not stop crying. since it was that video and not other Wiggles one, it was Steve that brought the magic. My son and I still watch Croc Hunter together on weekends and I hope that continues.

We're going to miss you buddy! May your legacy and dreams live on in all of us!

No comments: